Thursday, February 28, 2008

Finally Finished Objects!

Way back when, before I moved over here, you'd given me a pattern for some mocs. You had even ordered really nice yarn for me. And my first month over here I started knitting them. Originally, I was going to make a pair of mocs for Tipton (hence the color choice.) I got about 3/4 of the way done with the first one and got stuck. The pattern called for me to do something I'd never done before. Something I had no idea how to do - something I'd never even heard of. And since I had no internet and no phone and knew nobody whom I could ask, I set it aside and forgot about it. Then a month or so ago I (tried to) organize my stash and came across the almost finished first moc. I decided to finish the pair.

However, it seems in the past year and a half my knitting tension has loosened up a bit. And the mocs came out two very different sizes. I thought maybe they'd magically shrink to be the same size when I felted them, but no such luck. So I cast on a third moc. (Remind you of anything, like oh say - mittens?) And I had so much yarn left over that I decided to make a pair for myself as well. So I did. Here are my mocs before felting:


And here they are after felting:


The green really faded! Don't get me wrong, I like it. It's more of a sage green than the bright pea green. Unfortunately...

when I felted the first (mis-sized) pair of mocs, they did not fade as much. So now, although I've got two mocs that are the same size and they were knit out of the exact same wool, I still do not have a "matching" pair.

It makes me wonder... what will happen when I attempt a pair of socks?

And then we've got another giant hat. I bought the Lucy pattern from Little Turtle Knits*, because the hat would look absolutely adorable on Lilli. I knit a gauge swatch and made gauge and measured Lilli's head... and knit a hat that was enormous - way too big even for me to wear. So I cast on again, for the smallest size of the pattern. It was still too big for Lilli. I threw both hats in the top of my yarn closet and forgot about them. Until I started felting the mocs. Then I though - huh, wonder what will happen if I felt the biggest Lucy hat?

Before:

After:


It lost the pretty stitch definition (obviously - I FELTED it!) but it now fits, and still looks pretty darn cute!

*Just checked Little Turtle Knits - was gonna link to it, but didn't. They no longer seem to have the Lucy pattern.

1 comment:

Milli said...

Still laughing over the mocs.
I think the Lucy hat is gone because she's coming out with a book of her patterns. That must be one of the ones she's putting in there.