Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Entering Entrelac

With the mittens done I needed a new project (nevermind the basket full of WIPs.) At first I wanted something easy, something mindless. I knit a washrag. But I felt the desire for something a little more challenging. And then my mother-in-law requested a scarf. Something to match her winter coat. So I logged into Ravelry and browsed the scarf patterns. The one I liked best was Danica. And I already had the yarn for it! (Thanks to you!) I'm using Patons Classic Wool Merino in Burgundy and Deep Olive, with the occasional Peacock square thrown in. I cast on using wooden 5mm needles. At first I was very nervous. Picking up stitches makes me twitchy. What if I don't pick up enough? What if I pick up too many? What if I drop a stitch? But entrelac is actually really easy. You only work with about 10 stitches at a time, so it's pretty easy to tell if you have too many or too few. And after picking up a few stitches I got the hang of it - exactly which part of the stitch to pick up.


In the beginning, I would only work on it when the kids were in bed and there were no other distractions. But today I worked on it at knitting group. The first ever meeting of our knitting group. Right now we're using the name Chicks With Sticks. Today there were just three of us, but there should be four by the next meeting (she had a schedule conflict today.) Right now we're meeting on Tuesday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30, but after next week we'll meet every other Wednesday (same time.) The point is, I was able to work on the scarf while eating rice krispie treats, drinking tea and chatting with the girls!


I can't wait for the next meeting - it was so nice just sitting and talking and knitting and listening to music. And I also can't wait to knit some more on my scarf. Those little squares really are addictive. Just one more square... I can quit any time I want to - really.

1 comment:

Milli said...

Pretty! But all those ends to weave in... makes my teeth hurt to think of it.